When your roof is damaged, there are lots of things that can go wrong. For starters, you’ll lose sleep whenever heavy rainfall is predicted. You must also be prepared to handle the aftermath if flooding or water damage occurs. Even a single drop of water that enters your home can lead to a lot of issues and costs. Today, we’d like to share several of the top causes of roof repairs in Brevard, NC so you can be prepared.
- Cracked flashing: The flashings on your roof are thin pieces of metal that are fitted under the shingles and joints to form waterproof barriers. Broken flashing may look cracked or uneven. Since flashing is fitted with tar, it can easily be damaged by the elements, including ice, water, and heat.
- Broken shingles: Damaged shingles are relatively easy to spot since they’re on the outside of your roof. Look for missing or uneven shingles, as well as discolored patches. Weather is usually the main cause of shingle damage. Strong winds, heavy snow, and heavy rainfall can dislodge one or more shingles.
- Improperly sealed valleys: If the roof valleys are poorly constructed, there’s a risk of water getting under the roofing and damaging the supports. This can be caused by a failure to seal the valleys completely, as well as by excess rain.
- Cracked vent booting: Vent booting removes excess moisture from your house. These pipes extend out of the roof of your home. If the vent is damaged, dark spots will be visible around it. A roofing contractor in Brevard, NC will quickly identify the source of the leak and recommend the right repairs. This may include replacement of the flashing, installation of a new rubber boot on the leaking area, or a complete roofing replacement.
- Ice dam buildup: This is rare for our part of the country but it can happen when we have heavy snowfall. Ice dams form when one section of the roof is warmer and melts the ice. The water refreezes and builds up near the edge of the roof. If you notice this buildup, call a general contractor to inspect your roof as quickly as you can.
For expert roof repairs in Brevard, NC, call Southern Quality Company. We’ll use our experience and training to diagnose your roofing problems and recommend the best solution. Contact us today to learn more.